May 4, 2017
The 2017 NFL Draft didn't seem that exciting going in. But boy did it deliver. Lots of early dominoes fell when the Bears moved up one spot to take...Mitchel Trubisky. We'll check in with our buddy Tyler Dunne (Bleacher Report) to get his thoughts on an exciting NFL draft.
And we'll also get his thoughts on the comings and goings with the Buffalo Bills. GM Doug Whaley is out and the team announced they will not pick up Sammy Watkins 5th year.
Be sure to follow Tyler on Twitter @TyDunne and check out his work at bleacherreport.com.
April 26, 2017
It's almost Christmas Day for all the armchair draft experts out there, it's time for the NFL Draft! I gave up my faux draft expert status years ago but luckily Tony Pauline, an actual draft expert, is here to prepare us for shopping day for 32 NFL teams.
- Can the Browns actually screw up this #1 pick?
- Should we be all in on Mitchell Trubisky?
- Biggest depth position in this draft
- How will Jabrill Peppers diluted sample effect his draft stock?
- and what if players could pick their own team? Who would get the most players? Pats? Cowboys?
Be sure to follow Tony on Twitter @TonyPauline and at draftanalyst.com for draft coverage all week long.
April 11, 2017
It finally happened, Sergio Garcia is a major champion. What was different this time around for the Spaniard? Alex Myers from Golf Digest was on the course and joins us to recap the historic Masters.
- As a writer how do you prepare for a Sunday leaderboard with so many great stories?
- Was it a pro-Sergio crowd at Augusta?
- How does this win affect Sergio's legacy? Is he a Hall of Famer now?
- Does this open the floodgates for more majors for Sergio?
- Why does it seem like Rory is stuck in 3rd gear?
Be sure to follow Alex on Twitter and read his work at http://www.golfdigest.com/
April 5, 2017
The azaleas are in bloom and Tiger Woods isn't playing golf which means it must be Masters Week! We'll check in with our man Ryan Ballengee from Yahoo Sports and thegolfnewsnet.com to preview the 2017 Masters.
- How will the weather effect the tournament and who does it favor?
- Of the two new rising stars Jon Rahm and Justin Thomas, which has the best chance to win?
- How are Jason Day and Jordan Spieth mentally prepared for this week?
- What role will a "retired" Tiger Woods have in the game of golf.
- and we'll dive into the Lexi Thompson rule debacle
Plus, we'll recap the NCAA championship. Why officiating isn't the big story. And saints be praised Phil Simms is out of our football lives...for now. Tony Romo is replacing Simms in the CBS booth.
Be sure to follow Ryan all week from The Masters
March 30, 2017
Russell Westbrook is having one of the greatest seasons in NBA history. So why are we trying to knock it down? We'll look at the ridiculous reasons. Plus...
- Why can't Colin Kaepernick find a job?
- Why Kaep needs to start speaking
- The college basketball coaching dominoes are starting to fall
- Why we need to change the name of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (I'll explain)
- and our Final Four preview
Here's a link to Michael Rosenberg article on Colin Kaepernick that I reference in the episode.
March 21, 2017
The first round of the NCAA Tournament is in the books. We're joined by former Tarheel and current analyst for CBS Sports Brendan Haywood. He'll help us break down the first two rounds and look ahead to the Sweet 16. And we'll ask him...
- Biggest surprise through the first two rounds (Duke and Nova excluded)
- Is there a scoring issue in college basketball?
- The team he wish he had taken farther in his brackets
- Grading the officiating so far
- Who will be that breakout player of the tournament?
- and does Charles Barkley finally agree that he's an elite shotblocker?
Plus, I'll tell you two names to keep an eye on for the Indiana coaching job. And the best side story of the tournament.
Be sure to follow Brendan on Twitter . And watch him all weekend long on CBS, TBS, TNT and TruTV.
March 14, 2017
Let the madness begin! It's time to break out the brackets and pretend we know what we are talking about. Luckily our guest knows a thing or two about college basketball. Brendan McDaniels play by play man for Time Warner Sports and host of Orange Overtime joins us for our annual Bracketology episode.
We'll break down all four regions with Brendan and get his thoughts on Cinderellas, Blue Bloods, Chalk vs. Upsets, and we'll even play "Guess The Nickname". Plus...
- Which Michigan team can go farther this year?
- Region likely to see the most chaos
- Will the 7-10 games be the new 5-12 this year?
- Can a team from the PAC 12 finally make the Final Four?
- and the best player in the tournament not from one of the top seeds
Be sure to follow Brendan on Twitter .
March 7, 2017
The madness is upon us so it's time to take stock of the college basketball world. We had a great chat with Aaron Torres from Fox Sports as we get ready for the big dance.
- The Power 6 team that needs their conference tourney the most
- The most important conference in terms of seeding and bubble bursting
- Is it ok for top teams to lose early in their tourneys to rest up for the big dance?
- Is this a down year for mid majors and potential Cinderellas?
- Have we reached critical mass with the one and dones in college basketball?
- Is Illinois a Top 15 job in the country (we had some fun debating this one)
Plus I'll tell you why Jets fans are going to be suffering this year but not much past it. I'll share my thoughts on the combine and how it can be changed.
And we'll discuss Spin's 95 best alt songs of 1995 and Deadspin's Best Sounds In Sports.
Follow Aaron on Twitter throughout the Tournament . And here are the links to order Aaron's book: One and Fun: A Behind the Scenes Look at John Calipari and the 2010 Kentucky Wildcats
February 28, 2017
The Super Bowl is past, March Madness is still a few weeks away. So that means it's time to gather up the boys and talk sports over a few beers.
We took the show on the road to Big Ditch Brewing in Buffalo, NY and were joined by Tyler Dunne (Bleacher Report) and Brian Moritz (Sports Media Guy). We cover a whole lot of sports and sports media topics including:
- Finding your "voice" as a sports writer
- Are dynasties good for sports?
- Is the NFL on the brink of decline?
- Does sports need villians?
- Biggest storyline/hyperbole/myth that you're sick of hearing
- The ethics involved in discovering private team information
- Have they ever been approached by an agent or team official to spin a story?
- ...and would they rather be Jeter on the field of off the field? (Hint: one of us had their wife sitting 3 feet away)
My huge thanks to Tyler and Brian for this extended conversation. And of course to the great crew at Big Ditch Brewing for their hospitality. If you're in Buffalo make sure you stop by and try their tasty beers and food.
February 21, 2017
As promised we dive into the situation at Baylor. We're joined by Ben Baby from the Dallas Morning News to discuss:
- A breakdown of the latest lawsuits against the University
- The disappearance of Briles supporters
- Did anyone at the University do the right thing?
- Will the NCAA drop the death penalty on the program?
- How has new HC Matt Ruhle been able to recruit through this scandal?
Plus, more information about our upcoming event at Big Ditch Brewing in Buffalo.
Be sure to follow Ben on Twitter for the latest on the situation at Baylor.